Wednesday, January 27, 2010

My Advice to New Bloggers

My inspiration for this article originally came from Meredith, as I started writing it for her, but really, it's for anyone who finds it useful.

I remember when I first started blogging. It was somewhere back in 2002-03, and the term 'blog' hadn't been invented yet- these were 'online journals'. LiveJournal was all the rage, and it was an old friend from high school who got me hooked.

I didn't really have much to write about that I felt was worth reading. I was a troubled teenager just trying to figure out life, and who I was. I think my friend and I were the only people who ever read that online diary. It was nothing special. I was too shy to promote it, and I don't think I really wanted people reading it anyway. It was just a place for me to vent. Being the angsty kid I was, I wrote bad poetry and obsessed over stupid things that I've later come to laugh at. (Wait- I still do that now. Sort of.)

Nothing became of that journal. In fact, I later deleted my account and swore off blogging altogether.

But I couldn't stay away forever. I think it was that next week I was enticed by another blogging platform. I jumped around between different services over the next few years. I guess it wasn't the actual writing that I loved at the time, but instead, the design. I created some beautiful blog templates with practice (that Photoshop class definitely paid off), and I even won a Sony PSP in a contest.

Those blogs came and went, too. I just didn't feel for them.. even the one that was relatively 'successful'- Idiot's Guide to Blogging.

Then I grew serious about a future in music, whatever that may be. (I still don't know where this road will lead, but I know what I love, and that's what matters.) I've been through all sorts of crazy stuff while working for other bands, and trying to pull together a dedicated bunch of individuals as well. A lot of projects were born, and died. People have come and gone. I've dealt with my share of heartaches and general bullshit. And I blogged the entire way. At times, I think blogging was the only thing that helped me get through the disappointment gracefully.

A little over a year ago I met an amazing person who I immediately clicked with (it's a little scary when I think about it sometimes), and he presented me with opportunity, a project I felt I actually belonged to, a wealth of knowledge, among many other things I couldn't ever thank him enough for. And the funny thing is, the very first song I wrote at his place, "The Hollow", was picked up for a compilation cd. How's that for a turn of events?

And I'm blogging through all of this, too.

To be completely honest, I don't really know where I'm going with this story anymore. I just got on a roll and kept moving..

I guess what you can get out of my rambling can be summed up in 3 points:

1) It doesn't happen overnight. While a blog can be created in a matter of minutes, it takes time to figure out what it is you really want to create. Ideas come and go. The things you like today, you may not feel the same about them tomorrow. While it's good to blog with an end product in mind (it helps give you direction), understand that you still have a long way to go, it is always a work in progress, and there is a lot for you to learn (even if you're an 'expert' on something).

2) You're going to fail. (What a confidence booster, huh?) There was a point a few years ago when I thought I could sustain myself financially by blogging, and that alone. Yeah, it's possible with time and lots of hard work and dedication, and a marketing-oriented brain, but it's not a viable option for many. However, I took what I learned and continue to use it as I push along, writing about the things I REALLY like to write about, and as leverage for all my other pursuits. I may not be rich from a monetary point of view, but I am in so many other ways, and that's what's most important to me.

3) If nothing else, learn something about yourself. That's it. It's not uncommon to change direction because you felt something didn't suit you. I'm sure most of us have done it at least once. A blog is a great tool to help you figure out what you want from life. That in itself should be worth the trouble, the frustration, and anything else you may encounter.. even if you come to the conclusion that blogging isn't right for you- you tried, and learned something.